WWW.SKULLFORGESCENICS.ETSY.COM

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

What's in the Project Queue? (Apr 2017)

There are a ton of new gaming opportunities on the horizon– Shadow War: Armageddon is going to get a separate rulebook with all of the extra kill team profiles added in. I definitely want to pick that up and convert a kill team or two. The next edition of 40K is looking promising, and I might bring my Black Templars (or my Necrons) out of retirement when that drops.


There are also the Kharadron Overlords, which I'm seriously considering picking up. In the meantime, here's what's on the painting desk for my undead legion:


Hexwraiths


The horses are finally finished. I have 11 models, including two unit champions, so I can field them as two units of five, or swap out one of the champions for a regular trooper and make it a single unit of ten.

 

 

The champion's horse is made from the Mortis Engine spirit horde, and the basic horses use the Black Knight barding with all of the chain mail covered with another layer of robes. Some ethereal mist has been added to match the champion's horse.


 

The riders' torsos are underway. I'm replacing the flames with ethereal mist so they tie into the rest of my spectral units, and don't conflict with my Black Knights, which already have a flaming motif.


 

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the scythes. I like the curved, reinforced appearance, but they are a little small and I prefer a broader scythe blade, similar to the regular wraiths.


 

Morghasts


These have been coming along slowly, and I've been neglecting them in favor of working on the Hexwraiths. The bone is nearly finished, and I've settled on a color scheme (I think) for the weapons.

 

 

The separate armor bits are finished. I tried fitting one of the helmets on, and it was rubbing some of the paint on the Morghast's skull. So, I may have to glue them on and settle for helmeted Harbingers (they've already got the breastplates anyway).


 

Here's one of the Morghasts put together. Just need to highlight the bone, paint the chest and forearm armor, and finish the weapon. So close...!


 

Crypt Flayers

Remember these guys? I wrote about them back in 2013 in this post, and I think I finally have a use for them. I'm going to use them to represent my Crypt Flayers. Since the Flayers are larger, monstrous infantry, I'll put three of these on a base to represent a "swarm" of ghouls that would be the equivalent of a larger model and take up roughly the same amount of space.

 

 

And I got a couple of these winged vampires from Karol Rudyk Art. They're a little taller than the standard ghoul (you can get an idea of its size from the 1-inch grid on my cutting mat). This model might make a suitable Crypt Infernal Courtier.

If you're interested in Karol Rudyk's miniatures, you can check out his site here: http://karolrudykart.com/index.php


 

In the meantime, I need to get back on track with some new products for Skull Forge Scenics. I've also got three game tables to show off once the companies have had a chance to debut them at their upcoming shows. Watch for them in the coming months.


'Til next time!

2 comments:

  1. If you wind up making some terrain for Shadow War I'd love to see that too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rudy's model is pretty awesome! But mainly I love how you do the ghost effect!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Any comments containing links will not be approved and will be marked as spam.